“January: the beginning of whatever you want!“
Let’s face it January is a rubbish time of year and statistically (and unfortunately) is the most depressing month of the year. The days seem long and mostly dark and overcast. It’s the time when payday seems like light years away, and all the glitz, glamour and fun of Christmas seems like a lifetime ago. But all of that said, January can be survived, trust me, here’s how;
Time to plan
When’s dark outside and all you want to do is draw the curtains and hibernate, that’s the perfect time to get planning, and setting goals for the year ahead. Whether it’s plans for decorating the bathroom or just how you want the rest of the year to go.
According to Positive Psychology goal setting has many benefits to keeping you on track with what you want to achieve; “Setting goals helps trigger new behaviours, helps guides your focus and helps you sustain that momentum in life. Goals also help align your focus and promote a sense of self-mastery. In the end, you can’t manage what you don’t measure and you can’t improve upon something that you don’t properly manage.” So grab a pen and note book and getting planning and dreaming!
Look after yourself
We put our livers through so much during the festive period so January is a perfect time to repair your liver post Christmas. Milk Thistle tablets are a perfect for this (always check with your GP if you take regular medication ). Alternatively try cutting out highly processed foods, which tend to contain a lot of salt and sugar, and take pressure off your liver.
Go Dry January. Still thinking about cleansing your liver, why not go Dry January late! Cutting back on alcohol can have lots of benefits including clearer skin, better sleep, more energy and of course a positive impact on your liver.
How about Veganuary. You might not want to go the whole hog with veganism, but you might want to add more veggies to your life. Have at least one meal a week which contains no animal protein, and see how you feel.
It’s so easy to get caught up in the negativity of the world, which is often very hard to avoid, when in actual fact we should be looking a little closer to home and celebrating what we have in our own lives that we are grateful for. It might be seeing your dog chasing a stick you’ve thrown; it might be that cuppa in bed that your other half made for you. It might be a beautiful sunrise or sunset; whatever it is be grateful.
Blow away those cobwebs
Go for a walk in the fresh air and blow away those cobwebs. There’s nothing like a bracing winter walk with the winding in your face. Take your poochie with you (if you have one) or perhaps fly a kite – that’s not just kids stuff you know! Espcially if you can’t get to your gym at present due to restrictions in your area, walking is a fine all-round fitness alternative. Include some gradients in your walk, to really get that heart beating!
Plan your food in advance
To save money try and plan your menus in advance. There is nothing worse that wasting money on takewaways or ‘wandering’ around the supermarket picking things up that you “could use”. Use the internet to help you if you get bored eating the same old thing.
If you’re a cook (or even if you’re not) soups are dead easy and cheap to make; plus blitzing them in the NutriBullet (or similar) makes them go further! So if you are at work you can take some wholesome soup with you instead buying some which will be full of salt, sugar and E numbers!
Budget! Budget! Budget!
Allow yourself a budget for the week just for you and stick to it! The online sales are appealing, but do you really need what’s on offer or is it just because it’s there? And if you have any money leftover from your budget, add it to your savings!
Save money by grabbing a supermarket free mag for a bit of light reading – and ideas for meals! All the main supermarkets have a free mag; TESCO and Waitrose are my current faves, and always packed with recipes to try and the all important money off coupons!
Treat yourself a treat once a week. Whatever makes your heart sing do that; but remember it comes out of your budget. Avoid using your credit cards for this or any other purchase. The chances are you haven’t got your Xmas bills in on them yet, so you don’t want to add to the debt… do you?
According to researchers around 40% of our happiness is directly down to us; the other 60% is a mix of external factors and genetics. So take your 40% and use it to help Survive January!